- All-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1 recipe Quick Basic Pizza Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/283371/basic-pizza-dough), or 2 pounds store-bought pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 3/4 sticks), room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- On a floured work surface, roll dough to a 10-by-18-inch rectangle. Dot upper two-thirds of dough with 1 cup butter and fold dough like a letter. Roll dough to a 10-by-18-inch rectangle. Refrigerate on a baking sheet until firm, 1 hour (or up to 1 day).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine sugar, pecans, and salt. Leaving a 1/2-inch border, dot dough with 6 tablespoons butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Starting at a long end, roll up dough like a jelly roll. Cut crosswise into 12 pieces. Place each piece, cut side down, into two jumbo muffin pans or a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Immediately invert buns onto a serving platter or baking sheet. Serve warm.
Folding butter into the dough creates a flaky, rich result. This recipe works well with store-bought dough, but it's exceptional with homemade.