General Oglethorpe's Shrimp and Grits
This delicious recipe for General Oglethorpe's shrimp and grits comes courtesy of Joe Barnett Jr.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007
For the Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style Cajun seasoning, preferably Tone's
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined, preferably wild Georgia shrimp
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon miced garlic
For the Grits
- Two 0.4-ounce chicken bouillon cubes, preferably Knorr
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup quick-cooking white grits
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 1/2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, preferably Texas Pete
- 1 slice center-cut sugar-cured country ham, 1/4-inch thick, trimmed
- Prepare shrimp: In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of pepper. Add shrimp, and toss until well combined; set aside.
- Prepare grits: Fill a medium saucepan with 2 cups water. Add bouillon cubes and butter; bring to a boil. While whisking, gradually add grits. Cook, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Continue cooking, whisking, until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook shrimp: Melt butter in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook, stirring 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer shrimp to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Prepare sauce: Stir flour into remaining butter in skillet that shrimp was cooked in. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and medium-tan in color, 5 to 10 minutes. Whisk in chicken stock and cream; let cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce; set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add ham and cook, turning once, until browned. Transfer ham to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-by-1/4-inch pieces.
- To serve, divide grits evenly among 6 plates. Top with shrimp, and drizzle with sauce. Serve garnished with ham.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.