Madge's Gefilte Fish
Martha's friend Madge Miller shares her recipe for gefilte fish.
- Homemade Fish Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/259690/homemade-fish-stock)
- 2 1/2 pounds coarsely ground whitefish
- 2 1/2 pounds coarsely ground yellow pike
- 1/2 pound coarsely ground carp
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons matzo meal
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Madge's Horseradish (http://www.marthastewart.com/258672/madges-horseradish)
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
- In a large, wide pot, bring fish stock to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- In a large bowl combine whitefish, yellow pike, and carp. Add onions, eggs, matzo meal, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup cold water. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a paste.
- Moisten hands with cold water. Shape about 1/3 cup of mixture into an oval slightly larger than an egg (3 to 4 inches long). Place gently in simmering stock. Repeat with remaining mixture. Add carrots. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and simmer, until firm and opaque, about 1 hour. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container. Chill until stock gels, at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold, or at room temperature, garnished with fresh horseradish and a sprig of dill. May be made up to 2 days ahead.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.