Pate Brisee for Pumpkin Pie with Betty White
This recipe adapted from the November 2005 issue of "Martha Stewart Living."
Yield Makes enough for one double-crust pie or two single-crust 9-inch pies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add butter, and pulse until mixture forms coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining, about 10 seconds.
- With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky, no longer than 30 seconds.
- Divide dough in half, and shape into disks. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. Dough can be frozen up to 1 month; thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.