Cold Soba Broth
This cold soba broth recipe, courtesy of chef Takashi Yagihashi (Takashi's Noodles), is used to make Natto Soba.
Reprinted with permission from Takashi's Noodles by Takashi Yagihashi with Harris Salat, copyright 2009. Published by Ten Speed Press. Photo credit: Tyllie Barbosa 2009
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2009
- 5 cups Dashi (http://www.marthastewart.com/258920/dashi)
- 1 1/4 cups Japanese soy sauce
- 1 1/4 cup mirin
- 3/4 cup packed katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- In a large pot, bring dashi, soy sauce, and mirin to a boil over high heat. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and add katsuobushi; simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 3 minutes.
- Prepare an ice-water bath. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Strain dashi mixture into bowl and set bowl in ice-water bath until cool.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.