This recipe for battered cod is courtesy of chef Cathal Armstrong.
The Martha Stewart Show, March Winter 2007
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups canola oil
- 2 pounds skinless cod fillets, cut into 4 pieces
- Marie Rose Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/255990/marie-rose-sauce)
- Kitty O'Shea Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/256948/kitty-oshea-sauce)
- Cathal Armstrong's Tartar Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/285536/tartar-sauce)
- Place 1 3/4 cups water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Turn mixer on low speed and beat in flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and baking soda. Strain through a fine mesh sieve set over a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until it reaches 360 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. Place 1 cup flour in a shallow dish. Working with one piece of cod at a time, dredge cod in flour and then place in batter to coat, shaking off any excess. Carefully place in heated oil. Fry until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer cod to a wire rack and sprinkle with salt. Repeat process with remaining fish and batter. Serve immediately with desired sauces.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.