This recipe was brought to us by chef and restaurateur Pino Luongo.
Martha Stewart Living, September 2002
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pans
- 10 baby artichokes, trimmed and quartered
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons marjoram leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pino's Pizza Dough (http://www.marthastewart.com/254548/pinos-pizza-dough)
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Lightly oil two 14-inch pizza pans. Set aside. In a medium skillet, heat 1/4 cup oil over high heat. Add artichokes, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add shallot, and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Add wine and 1/2 cup water; bring to a boil. Cover, and lower heat to simmer. Cook until artichokes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 8 to 9 minutes. Add marjoram, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide dough in half. Cover one half with plastic wrap while working with the other. Working on a lightly floured surface, use fingers to flatten and stretch dough into a rough 8-inch circle. Transfer to one of the prepared pans or onto a pizza peel. Continue pressing dough outward until it just fits inside rim of pan or reaches almost to the edge of the stone. Dough should be less than 1/4 inch thick. Drizzle with olive oil. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle each round with half the mozzarella. Transfer to oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Divide artichokes evenly between pizzas, and sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Return to oven until crusty and golden, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.