Mother's Day French Toast
Martha Stewart Living Television, May 2000
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 loaf brioche
- 1/2 cup canola oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, for frying
- Confectioners' sugar, for serving
- Maple syrup, for serving
- In a baking dish, combine eggs, milk, Grand Marnier, orange and lemon zest, orange juice, sugar, and salt. Beat with a fork until well combined.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the brioche 1/4-inch-thick. Dip the brioche slices into egg mixture and moisten thoroughly, being careful not to oversoak the bread.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside. Heat 1/4 cup oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Repeat in a second skillet. Transfer soaked bread to skillets and cook until deep golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve hot with maple syrup.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.