Yield Makes enough for 1 chicken
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1/2 cup glace de viande
- 1/2 cup Homemade Chicken Stock for Madeira Sauce Homemade Chicken Stock for Madeira Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/259927/homemade-chicken-stock-for-madeira-sauce)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 to 10 tablespoons heavy cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook until translucent. Add wine, and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add glace de viande and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in heavy cream. Whisk into sauce, and cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, and pass through a sieve. Keep warm in a double boiler, or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.