- 1 pound paper-thin slices prosciutto
- 2 pounds medium scallops (about 40)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 lemons, halved, plus wedges for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to high. (If using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for 2 seconds.)
- Halve 1 slice prosciutto lengthwise. Fold in half lengthwise, and wrap around sides of 1 scallop, overlapping prosciutto ends. Repeat with remaining prosciutto and scallops. Thread several scallops on each skewer.
- Drizzle scallops lightly with oil, squeeze lemons over skewers, and season with pepper. Grill scallops, turning once, until just opaque, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with lemon.
Sea scallops should have a firm texture, a pearly, almost peachy tone, and a faintly sweet aroma. Ask for dry or dry-packed scallops to ensure a fresh flavor and supple texture. If you are using wooden skewers, first soak them in cold water for 30 minutes.