Tzimmes is a traditional stew for Passover, made from a combination of sweet potatoes and dried fruit.
Martha Stewart Living, April 1995
- 9 medium carrots, (about 1 pound), peeled
- 4 sweet potatoes, (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup bite-size pitted prunes, (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup dried apricots, (about 5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons orange zest, (from one orange)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut carrots into 2-inch pieces. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, and lower heat to medium; add sweet potatoes in their skins, and cook for 20 minutes, adding the carrots after 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Peel sweet potatoes, and cut into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large bowl along with carrots and remaining ingredients. Mix well, and transfer to a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes, basting with pan juices after 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.