Lentils with Spinach
Everyday Food, March/April 2003
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces spinach, stems removed, leaves washed well and torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, lentils, carrot, onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the lentils are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain, discarding bay leaf.
- Use a paper towel to wipe out any water from the saucepan. Add oil, and return pan to medium heat. Stir in the lentils, vegetables, and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Taste, and adjust for seasoning. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to serving bowls.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.