Buckwheat-Sour Cream Waffles
Buckwheat flour gives these waffles an earthy flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Fresh blueberries (optional)
- Homemade Creme Fraiche (http://www.marthastewart.com/256498/homemade-creme-fraiche)
- Preheat a waffle iron. Into a large bowl, sift together buckwheat and all-purpose flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sour cream, milk, and butter. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir briefly until just combined.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with a hand-mixer until stiff but not dry. Fold into the batter.
- Ladle about 1/3 cup batter onto each section of the waffle grid; spread the batter almost to the edges. Close the lid, and bake about 5 minutes, until no steam emerges from the waffle iron.
- Transfer the cooked waffles to a baking sheet; place in an oven set to low heat, about 200 degrees, while using the remaining batter. If desired, serve with blueberries and a dollop of creme fraiche.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.