Brownie Heart Cupcakes
Transform chocolate brownies into decadent cupcakes for a Valentine's Day sweet certain to induce a smile. They're perfect for an office party for 20 or a quiet dinner for two.
Martha Stewart Living, February 2009
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 12 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Basic Buttercream (http://www.marthastewart.com/283343/basic-buttercream)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Coat an 8-inch square cake pan with cooking spray, line bottom with parchment, then spray parchment.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof mixer bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring until chocolate melts.
- Attach bowl to mixer, add sugar, and whisk on medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture.
- Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Spread remaining batter in square pan. Bake until set but still soft, about 18 minutes. Let cool in tins and pan on wire racks.
- Frost cupcakes with buttercream. Cut out 24 hearts from brownie in pan using a 1 1/2-inch heart-shaped cutter. Top each cupcake with a heart.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.