- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, flakes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 medium tomato, cored and torn into pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sprig fresh basil
- Rinse and drain green beans; place in medium saucepan while still slightly wet. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, tomato, and oil. Cover; cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add basil sprig; cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, until most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. Discard basil sprig before serving.
To make sure the beans you buy are fresh, snap them in half; they should snap easily under light pressure and form beads of moisture around the breaks.