Red Grapefruit and Fennel Salad
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 1999
- 3 ruby-red grapefruit
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 8 ounces baby spinach or watercress
- Using a paring knife, remove peel, pith, and outer membranes from 2 grapefruit. Slice into 1/4-inch rounds; set aside. Squeeze juice from remaining grapefruit, and set aside.
- Place fennel seeds in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder, and grind until very fine.
- Place ground seeds in a bowl; add 1/4 cup grapefruit juice, honey, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, slowly adding olive oil. Set dressing aside.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice onion into thin rounds; place in a bowl. Pour remaining grapefruit juice over onions; toss.
- Cut fennel in half lengthwise; remove core. Using mandoline, slice fennel. Drain onions; place in a large bowl. Add fennel, spinach, and grapefruit rounds. Toss with dressing.
© 2015 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.