Apricot Sauternes Jam
This jam served with a dollop of thick, creamy Greek yogurt makes a wonderful dessert.
Martha Stewart Living, July
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh apricots, pitted and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Sauternes, or Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise
- 1 pinch of coarse salt
- Place a few small plates in the freezer. Stir together apricots, sugar, lemon juice, Sauternes, and salt in a large, heavy pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and mashing lightly with a potato masher. Skim foam from surface. Cook, stirring more frequently as jam thickens, until it is the consistency of very loose jelly, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Remove a plate from freezer, and drop a spoonful of jam on it. Return to freezer for 1 to 2 minutes, then gently nudge edge of jam with a finger. If jam is ready, it should hold its shape. If jam is too thin and spreads out, return to a boil, testing every minute, until done.
- Return jam to a boil. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilized jars, and cover immediately with sterilized lids.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.