Fruit Granitas: Plum-Ginger Granita
Photography: Sang An
Martha Stewart Living, August 2006
Yield Makes about 2 quarts
- 2 inches peeled fresh ginger
- 2 pounds ripe red plums, halved, pitted, and coarsely chopped, plus thin wedges for garnish (about 9 plums total)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pulse ginger in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer ginger to a large saucepan. Add plums, sugar, salt, and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sugar has dissolved and plums have broken down, about 15 minutes.
- Pour plum mixture through a fine sieve into a 9-by-13-inch shallow nonreactive dish; discard solids. Stir in vanilla. Chill in freezer until edges are frozen, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from freezer; scrape with fork tines, pulling from edges into center. Return to freezer. Repeat process every 30 minutes until mixture is the texture of shaved ice, about 4 1/2hours. Spoon into serving bowls, and garnish with plums.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.