Duck and Pumpkin Risotto with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
This wonderful risotto is a perfect fall dish courtesy of Emeril Lagasse.
The Martha Stewart Show, October Fall 2008
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups shredded Roast Duck (http://www.marthastewart.com/256381/roast-duck), rendered duck fat reserved separately
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped garlic
- 6 to 8 cups Brown Chicken Stock (http://www.marthastewart.com/262822/brown-chicken-stock)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (http://www.marthastewart.com/256382/spicy-roasted-pumpkin-seeds)
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pumpkin on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until pumpkin is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan along with 2 tablespoons reserved duck fat over high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; stir in pumpkin and garlic. Stir in 1 1/2 cups stock and season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring. Add stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is fully absorbed before each addition, until rice is al dente, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Stir in shredded duck, butter, heavy cream, basil, and cheese; continue cooking until rice is tender and creamy, about 2 minutes more. Serve risotto immediately garnished with pumpkin seeds, chives, and more cheese, if desired.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.