Lighter Chicken Pot Pie
Martha Stewart Living, January 2006
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups reserved stock from Poached Chicken (http://www.marthastewart.com/283487/poached-chicken)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 medium carrots, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3 medium celery stalks, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Poached Chicken (http://www.marthastewart.com/283487/poached-chicken)
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus about 1/2 cup leaves for crust and sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup slightly thawed frozen peas
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
- Flaked sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup stock. Whisk remaining 1/2 cup stock into the flour in a small bowl. Whisk into shallot mixture. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Add carrots and celery. Bring to a boil. Stir in chicken. Return to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in chopped parsley and tarragon. Let cool. Stir in peas. Transfer to a 2-quart (8 1/2-by-12-inch) baking dish.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with melted butter. Sprinkle with parsley leaves. Repeat with remaining phyllo, parsley, and butter; do not sprinkle parsley on final layer. (Keep unbuttered phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel.) Drape crust over cooled filling; tuck in edges. Cut four 4-inch slits in crust for vents. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, and recut vents. Serve immediately in shallow bowls.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.