- Unsalted butter, softened, for baking sheet
- 2 cups sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups salted peanuts, 7 ounces
- Vegetable oil, for spatula
- Butter a rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Stir together sugar, 1/2 cup water, and the salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat, without stirring, until sugar begins to melt and turn golden, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar has melted and mixture turns golden amber, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in peanuts. Immediately pour peanut mixture onto buttered baking sheet. Quickly spread mixture to 1/2 inch thick using an oiled metal spatula. Let cool completely, about 15 minutes. Break brittle into pieces.
Use a medium-size saucepan (wider rather than taller) that does not have a nonstick coating.