Spicy Lentil-Walnut Burgers
These Mediterranean-inspired veggie burgers pack in the flavor without adding on the pounds. This recipe was adapted from the March 2005 issue of Everyday Food magazine.
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2010
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup lentils, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 large pitas
- Yogurt-Cilantro Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/261915/yogurt-cilantro-sauce), for serving
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Cherry tomatoes, halved, for serving
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until finely ground. Add lentils, onion, and 1 tablespoon oil; pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should remain whole).
- In a large bowl, whisk egg. Add lentil mixture; mix until well combined. Divide into quarters; roll into balls, and flatten with the palm of your hands into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add burgers; cook, turning once, over medium-low heat until crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve burgers in pitas with sauce, avocado, and cherry tomatoes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.