Pistachio Souffles with Soft Chocolate Centers
This delicious recipe is from "My Vue," by Shannon Bennett.
The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2007
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1 3/4 ounces heavy cream
- 4 ounces roughly chopped dark chocolate
FOR THE SOUFFLE MOLDS
- 1 ounce finely grated dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
FOR THE CREME PATISSIERE
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
- 1/4 cup pistachio paste
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- Creme Anglaise (http://www.marthastewart.com/254676/creme-anglaise), warmed, for serving
- Prepare ganache: Place cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour cream over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted. Transfer to freezer until frozen, about 1 1/2 hours. Using an ice cream scoop, evenly divide chocolate into 6 portions, place portions on a plate or small baking sheet, and return to freezer.
- Prepare the molds: Butter six 1-cup aluminum dariole molds; coat with grated chocolate. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare creme patissiere: Combine milk, vanilla bean, and seeds in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove vanilla bean and discard. Whisk in pistachio paste.
- In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, egg yolks, flour, and cornstarch. Slowly add a quarter of the milk mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the remaining milk mixture. Place saucepan over medium heat, and cook, whisking until thick and smooth, about 2 minutes. Place 1/4 cup creme patissiere in a medium bowl, whisk until completely cooled, and set aside. Reserve remaining creme patissiere for another use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare meringue: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until foamy. Continue beating while slowly adding superfine sugar. Beat until shiny stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/4 of the meringue into the creme patissiere. Continue folding in meringue in 3 batches. Spoon mixture into prepared molds filling about 3/4 full. Place 1 cube of frozen ganache in the center and continue filling molds with batter until completely full. Bake until souffles rise, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, froth creme anglaise. Divide creme anglaise evenly between 6 warm serving bowls. Invert each souffle into the center of the bowl; serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.