Georges's Potato Fritters with Truffles
This recipe comes to us courtesy of Georges Blanc, the famed French author, restaurateur, and hotelier.
Martha Stewart Living Television
- 3 medium boiling potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup clarified butter
- Whole canned truffles (about 1/3 ounce per person), very thinly sliced, plus more, julienned for garnish
- Georges's Butter Sauce (http://www.marthastewart.com/255789/georgess-butter-sauce)
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan. Add enough water to cover potatoes by 2 inches. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Pass potatoes through a sieve, the medium disk of a food mill, or a ricer into a medium bowl.
- Add cornstarch, and stir to combine. Add whole eggs 1 at a time, stirring until completely combined. Add egg whites, and stir to combine. Add cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring until batter is the consistency of thick pastry cream. (Do not add the 3 tablespoons of cream all at once. Test the consistency of the batter by cooking a small amount of it and eventually adding more cream, if necessary, to thin it out.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Set aside. Heat a small amount of clarified butter until shimmering in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Use 1 tablespoon of batter to form each fritter, being sure not to crowd pan. Immediately place two or three slices of truffle in center of each fritter. As soon as the truffles have penetrated batter, turn and cook on other side. (The fritters cook quickly; be careful not to let them dry out.) Transfer to prepared baking sheet to drain. Repeat with remaining batter and truffle slices, adding more clarified butter as necessary to avoid sticking.
- Spread a small amount of sauce on serving plate. Top with a fritter. Garnish with julienned truffles. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.