Cheese and Nut Loaf
A favorite of photographer Vicki Pearson's, this dish can made with leftover brown rice. Use leftovers for tasty sandwiches.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2000
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (or 1 cup dry rice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage, leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan, line bottom with parchment paper, and butter again; set aside. Place dried porcini in a small bowl; add boiling water to cover. Let soak 20 minutes; drain, finely chop, and set aside.
- Toast walnuts and cashews on a baking sheet until lightly browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool. Finely chop with a sharp knife, or in the bowl of a food processor, set aside. Increase oven heat to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add shiitake mushrooms and the reserved porcini; cook, stirring constantly, until all the mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in rice, the toasted nuts, parsley, marjoram, thyme, sage, eggs, Gruyere, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan 20 minutes, then invert loaf, and remove from pan. Serve hot or warm, garnished with sage leaves.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.