Chicken Breast with Roasted Peppers and Mozzarella Panini
Treat game-day guests to grilled sandwiches adapted from Tom Colicchio's 'wichcraft restaurant.
Photo Credit: Bill Bettencourt
The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup Spinach-Basil Pesto (http://www.marthastewart.com/256833/spinach-basil-pesto)
- 1/2 cup Roasted Peppers (http://www.marthastewart.com/255946/roasted-peppers), chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a gentle simmer. Generously salt water. Add thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, and pepper. Add chicken and simmer until chicken registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from heat and let chicken cool in liquid. Store chicken in liquid, covered and refrigerated, until ready to use.
- Preheat a sandwich press according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Remove chicken breast from poaching liquid and thinly slice; divide evenly among 4 slices of bread. Spread pesto on top of chicken; top with peppers and mozzarella. Sandwich with remaining 4 slices of bread and place on sandwich press. Close the lid and apply slight pressure; cook until bread is golden and cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes. If bread is sticking to the press, continue to cook and bread will unstick itself. If press is generating more heat from the bottom, flip the sandwich halfway through cooking.
- Remove sandwich from press and cut in half before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.