Pizza Piena Dough
This recipe for pizza piena dough is courtesy of sisters Gerry DiSanto and Nina Scavone, and is used to make their Easter Pizza Piena.
The Martha Stewart Show, March Winter/Spring 2008
Yield Makes enough for one 13 3/4-by-9 1/2-inch pie
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening and butter until combined.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add eggs; stir until just combined. Slowly stir in water until a dough begins to form. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead slightly until dough is smooth. Form dough into 2 disks, one slightly larger than the other, and wrap each with plastic wrap. Let dough stand at least 20 minutes before rolling out.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.