Greens with Orange Vinaigrette and Toasted Sesame Seeds
A little avocado added to this salad is delicious. Toasting whole cumin seeds and grinding them in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle is the best way to bring out the flavor.
Martha Stewart Living, January 2002
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds crisp lettuces (such as romaine, radicchio, and frisee), cleaned, finely sliced, or torn into bite-size pieces (20 to 24 cups)
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds, shaking the pan until they are fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes, and set aside to cool.
- Repeat step 1 with the cumin seeds, and then grind the cumin seeds in a clean spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle until fine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the orange juice, red-wine vinegar, salt, and sugar. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, adding in a fine stream, until emulsified. Whisk in the ground cumin, and season with pepper to taste. Drizzle the dressing over salad, and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.