Upside-Down Mango Tartlets
The classic French caramelized tart is made easier using a muffin pan.
Everyday Food, April 2010
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and cut into six 3-inch circles to fit jumbo muffin pan
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place puff pastry circles in refrigerator. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, rum, and pinch of salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute, then add butter and stir until completely melted. In a jumbo muffin pan, divide sugar mixture among the cups, about 4 teaspoons each. Divide mango among cups and top with pastry. Bake until pastry is golden brown, puffed, and juices are bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
- 2 Let cool on a wire rack, 15 minutes. Run a small knife around edges of pastries to loosen. Place a rimmed baking sheet over pan and quickly invert to release tartlets. Serve warm.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.