Strawberries with Vanilla Syrup
Juicy strawberries poached with vanilla and peppercorns make a deliciously simple, lightly sweet, and good-for-you ending to a summer meal.
They are delicious on their own and also pair beautifully with creamy Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream. Peppercorns add a spicy note and a touch of heat.
Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
- 1 pound strawberries (halved if large), stems left intact (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 strips (each 2 inches long) lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- Place strawberries in a heatproof bowl. Combine water,
sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and peppercorns in a small
saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and cook
for 1 minute. Pour syrup over strawberries. Let stand
until cool, about 15 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.