Cheddar Cornmeal Waffle BLT
Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- 8 ounces sliced bacon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons for tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/4 pounds green tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons Homemade Mayonnaise Homemade Mayonnaise (http://www.marthastewart.com/255028/homemade-mayonnaise), or prepared
- 1 small head red-leaf lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bacon on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside on paper towels.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Reduce oven heat to 200 degrees. Into a large bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, and melted butter. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry mixture, and stir until combined. Stir in grated cheese.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with a hand-mixer until stiff but not dry. Fold into the batter.
- Ladle about 1/3 cup batter onto each section of the waffle grid; spread batter almost to the edges. Close lid; bake until no steam emerges from waffle iron, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer cooked waffles to a baking sheet; place in an oven set to low heat, about 200 degrees, while using remaining batter.
- In a medium skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter on medium high. Season tomato slices with salt and pepper; saute until lightly browned on the edges, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Spread waffles with mayonnaise, then layer half the waffles with the bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce. Sandwich together, and serve.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.