Sour Cherry Rice
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons saffron water
- 32 ounces whole sour cherry preserves, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place rice in a medium bowl, and add enough water to cover. Pour off water, and repeat process 2 to 3 more times. Add enough cold water to cover. Add salt, and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add rice, and cook until almost tender, 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick stockpot, combine 2 tablespoons water, butter, yogurt, and 1 teaspoon saffron water. Add rice, layering with the cherries, and cherry liquid. Sprinkle with remaining saffron water and the oil. Cover top of stockpot with a thick kitchen towel, and place lid on top. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes more. Invert rice onto a large platter. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.