Martha Stewart Living, February 2000
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Date Paste (http://www.marthastewart.com/281438/date-paste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-by-8-by-2-inch baking pan, and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and baking soda. Add butter, and blend with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer two-thirds of the crumb mixture into prepared pan, and press into bottom and up sides. Spread date paste over bottom layer of the dough. Cover with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Invert onto a plate, then back onto a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.