Frutti di Mare Sauce
This recipe for frutti di mare sauce is from Sal Scognamillo of Patsy's Italian Restaurant.
The Martha Stewart Show, December Holiday 2007
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juices reserved
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 pound calamari, cleaned and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved lengthwise
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 16 mussels, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound cooked spaghetti
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices, wine, and calamari; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until calamari is tender, 25 to 28 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, add shrimp, clams, and mussels to saucepan. Cook, covered, until clam and mussel shells open, about 10 minutes. Discard any unopened shells.
- Stir in basil and parsley; continue cooking 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over spaghetti.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.