Honey Tangerines and Kumquats with Walnuts and Shaved Celery
The combination of walnuts, cheese, and refreshing citrus makes this a fine after-dinner palate cleanser. We used honey tangerines, but clementines work just as well; both fruits are members of the mandarin-orange family.
Annual Recipes 2003
- 3 honey tangerines
- 6 kumquats (about 2 ounces)
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 1/2 ounces shelled walnut halves (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce Pecorino Romano cheese
- Using your hands, peel tangerines, and separate fruit into segments; pop out seeds, and place segments in a medium bowl. Slice kumquats into very thin rounds, and remove seeds. Add to bowl.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice celery thinly on the bias. Add to bowl with fruit. Toss in walnuts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil; season with pepper. Drizzle over citrus mixture in bowl, and toss to combine. Divide among four salad plates. Shave cheese over each salad, and serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.