Eggs and Morels Baked In Cream
You can substitute eight dried morels for the fresh: Cover with hot water in a medium bowl, keep them submerged. Let the mushrooms stand until soft, about 20 minutes, then lift them out of the water.
Martha Stewart Living, April 2006
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for dishes
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 8 fresh morel mushrooms, (about 1 cup), halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot. Cook, stirring constantly, until shallot has softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes. Add cream; bring to a simmer. Immediately remove from heat, and let mushroom mixture cool 5 minutes.
- Butter four 6-inch shallow baking dishes (such as gratin dishes). Place dishes on a rimmed baking sheet. Crack 1 egg into each baking dish, keeping yolks intact, and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mushroom-cream mixture into dishes, dividing evenly, and sprinkle with chives. Bake on baking sheet until the egg whites are just set, 9 to 12 minutes. Serve with bread, for dipping.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.