Pasta with Onion, Bacon, and Goat Cheese
Bell-shaped noodles are an elegant base for this simple, rustic sauce. Other short pasta, such as penne or gemelli, would also be good choices.
Everyday Food, March 2004
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 35 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 pound campanelle
- 4 slices (4 ounces) bacon, sliced crosswise 1 inch thick
- 4 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- Cook pasta. Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water; return pasta to pot.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet over medium, turning, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes; remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Add onions, garlic, and thyme to fat in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Uncover; cook until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Crumble goat cheese over pasta; add onion mixture and 1 cup reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper. Toss, adding more pasta water as desired. Serve immediately, sprinkled with bacon and more thyme.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.