Enjoy the essence of summer in a glass with cubes left over from fruit salad and a simple syrup made from sugar and water.
Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Fresh seasonal fruit, such as 8 cups cubed seedless watermelon, 6 cups cubed honeydew melon, 6 cups cubed cantaloupe, 6 cups cubed mango, or 4 1/4 cups raspberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of coarse salt
- Sparkling water, or club soda
- Put sugar and 1 cup water into a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; let cool slightly.
- Puree fruit, syrup, lemon juice, and salt in a blender. Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl. Refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes (up to 2 days).
- To serve, fill 8 medium glasses with ice; pour 1/2 cup puree into each glass, and top off with sparkling water. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.