Instead of buying chocolate coins this Hanukkah, try our fruity twist on handmade gelt.
Martha Stewart Living, December 2006
Yield Makes about 4 dozen
- 1 pound dried Turkish apricots
- 1 pound dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Foil candy wrappers
- Using a heavy mallet, flatten apricots to 1/4 inch thick; set aside. Microwave chocolate in a glass bowl in 15-second intervals, stirring vigorously with a rubber spatula and scraping down sides in between, until just melted (chocolate should be no warmer than 86 degrees).
- Dip each apricot in chocolate, coating evenly. Transfer to wire racks set over parchment paper; let stand until set.
- Transfer apricots to baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate until firm, at least 25 minutes. Wrap in foil wrappers. Gelt can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.