Chicken and Sweet Potato Hand Pies
Kids will love these personal-size hand pies. Precooking the ingredients for the filling makes for a thoroughly stress-free dinner.
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Reserved roasted sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- <a href="http://prod_recipe.dev.marthastewart.com/recipe/recipe_detail/34657">Reserved cooked chicken</a>, cut into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, mash sweet potatoes with a fork or potato masher. Add cream, coriander, and cumin; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out puff pastry to a 12-inch square and cut into 4 squares. Divide sweet-potato mixture among bottom halves of squares, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top each with 1/2 cup chicken and brush edges of squares with some egg. Fold top halves of squares over filling to make a triangle, then crimp edges with a fork. With a sharp knife, cut vents in pastry and brush with remaining egg.
- Transfer pies to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden and crisp, about 30 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, bring 1/2 inch salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and serve with pies.
Mash leftover cooked carrots or winter squash to use in place of the sweet potatoes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.