Root Vegetable and Pomegranate Salad
This recipe is adapted from Jamie Oliver's Cookbook, "The Naked Chef Takes Off" (Hyperion, 2001).
- 2 medium golden beets, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 head (about 1 pound) celeriac, peeled
- 1 medium fennel bulb (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small dried red chile, crumbled
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 pomegranate
- Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, very thinly slice the beets, carrots, celeriac, and fennel; place in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Drizzle with oil and lemon. Season with chile, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley; toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Hold the pomegranate above the salad, cut-side facing down. Using a rubber spatula in the other hand; strike the pomegranate releasing the seeds and juice onto the salad. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.