Spaghetti with Shaved Asparagus
Everyday Food, April 2009
- Prep Time 25 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 bunch (1 pound) asparagus, tough ends removed, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 4 strips lemon zest, thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Add asparagus and lemon zest to pot; immediately drain pasta mixture, and return to pot.
- Add butter and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce. Top with Parmesan.
Use a vegetable peeler to create asparagus ribbons and Parmesan shavings. You can substitute another firm cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or ricotta salata.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.