Most granola is packed with lots of fat and little nutrition. This version has goodness in every bite and is low in fat. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt and sliced fresh fruit for a healthy breakfast. The recipe can easily be doubled.
Martha Stewart Baby, Special Issue 2000
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.with rack in center. In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, wheat germ, flax seed, cinnamon, ginger, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. In a small bowl, combine molasses, oil, and 1/3 cup water, and pour over the oat mixture; stir until well coated. Spread evenly in two baking pans.
- Bake, stirring every 20 minutes or so for even cooking, until dry and lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Let granola cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.