This recipe is courtesy of Norm Matthews of Junction City, Kansas.
Everyday Food, January/February 2004
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups brown lentils
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 3 cups reduced-sodium canned vegetable broth
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-quart saucepan, bring 5 cups water to a boil. Stir in brown lentils; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain; rinse pan.
- Return lentils to pan; add long-grain rice and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Cook until rice is tender and has absorbed liquid, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter onions on pilaf.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.