Sesame Chicken with Cabbage and Red Grapefruit Sauce
Photography: James Baigrie
Martha Stewart Living, February 2004
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 red grapefruit
- 1/2 pound napa cabbage (about 1/2 small head), cut into 4 wedges, core intact
- 6 scallions, cut on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
For the Coating
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
For the Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice (from about 3 red grapefruits)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toast sesame seeds in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, shaking skillet, until seeds are golden, about 2 minutes; transfer to a plate. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Dredge chicken in seeds; set aside.
- Cut peels, including pith, from grapefruit; discard. Working over a bowl to catch any juices, cut segments from membranes, letting them fall into bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm. Add shallot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add wine and grapefruit juice; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- Bring 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup grapefruit sauce, and ginger to a simmer in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Place cabbage in pan in a single layer; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover; cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil; remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, coat an ovenproof nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until undersides are golden, about 3 minutes. Turn; transfer skillet to oven. Bake until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer cabbage to a plate; cover to keep warm. Keep pan on stove with heat off. Add 1/4 cup grapefruit sauce, scallions, and grapefruit segments to pan. Cook over medium-low heat, 2 minutes. Divide chicken, cabbage, grapefruit, and sauce among four serving plates.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.