Mexican Egg Scramble
For anyone on the go, this is a hearty, portable breakfast -- eggs wrapped in a tortilla and twisted up in foil. At home, place the pan with eggs and toasted corn tortillas in the center of the table.
Mad Hungry, September 2010
- 18 corn tortillas or 1 bag salted tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 scallions (both white and green parts), chopped, or 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 to 6 serrano or jalapeno chiles, minced
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 dozen large eggs
- If using corn tortillas, toast individually over a gas flame on low or in a pan for about 40 seconds per side. Stack on top of each other and wrap in foil or a clean kitchen towel. This will steam the toasted tortillas for pliability.
- Heat a 14-inch skillet and then add the oil and swirl it around in the pan. Stir in the scallions and chiles. Add the tomatoes, salt, and cilantro, if using. Stir over high heat for about 2 minutes.
- Crack the eggs one at a time into the skillet and stir. Cook just until the eggs are set, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately: scoop a portion of eggs onto each plate and offer 3 tortillas each, or crumble tortilla chips over the egg mixture.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.