Basic Shrimp Stock
This shrimp stock recipe from chef John Besh of August is used to make his Slow-Cooked Louisiana Shrimp and Grits. Serve with his Mirliton Salad for a dinner that is guaranteed to please.
The Martha Stewart Show, March 2009
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound shrimp shells (from 10 pounds shrimp)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add shrimp shells and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, leek, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add 12 cups water, bay leaf, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until reduced by half.
- Strain stock, discarding solids; let cool to room temperature. Stock may be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container and kept refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.