Olive-Stuffed Flank Steak
Martha Stewart Living, January 2004
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus about 2 tablespoons for cooking the steaks
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 flank steaks, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds each
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cherry Tomato Confit (http://www.marthastewart.com/282933/cherry-tomato-confit)
- To make the stuffing: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook until aromatic, a few minutes more. Remove from the heat, and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the olives, herbs, pine nuts, and currants. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the flank steaks for stuffing; place one of the steaks on a work surface, cover it loosely with a piece of plastic wrap, and use a meat pounder to pound the steak until about 1/3 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, score the steak in a crisscross pattern, making 3 to 4 shallow cuts in each direction, being sure not to cut all the way through. Turn the steak over, and spread half the stuffing evenly over the unscored surface of the steak. Roll up the steak lengthwise, like a jelly roll. Using kitchen twine, tightly tie the steak to keep it securely rolled up. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining steak and stuffing.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pour about 2 tablespoons of oil into a large roasting pan. Place over two burners over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the steaks and sear on all sides, turning with tongs, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove steaks from pan, transfer to a plate, and set aside. Discard any fat in the pan and scrape out and discard any burned bits that may have escaped from the stuffing. Return the steaks to the pan, place in the oven, and roast, uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn the steaks, and continue to roast until the internal temperature of the steaks reads between 120 degrees.and 130 degrees.on an instant-read thermometer, about 8 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow the steaks to rest for 5 to 8 minutes. Cut, and remove the twine. Transfer steaks to a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut them into slices 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Arrange the slices on a platter, and pour any accumulated pan juices over the top. Serve with tomato confit.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.