Try this warm and filling brisket for a family-friendly meal perfect for a cold winter night.
The Martha Stewart Show, December 2009
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (5 1/2-pound) beef brisket, top flap removed and fat trimmed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large onions (about 2 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cups red-wine vinegar
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 ribs celery, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (28-ounce) can plus 1 (14-ounce) can plum tomatoes and their juices, pureed
- 6 small turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 medium rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed Dutch-oven or roasting pan over medium-high heat. Season brisket with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and add to pan. Cook brisket, turning, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add remaining tablespoon olive oil, along with onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned and soft, about 25 minutes. Add wine and increase heat; bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan using a wooden spoon. Add vinegar, 4 carrots, 2 ribs celery, and tomatoes; stir to combine.
- Return brisket to pan; spoon over some of the cooking liquid and vegetables. Cover with parchment paper-lined foil and transfer to oven. Cook for 1 1/2 hours; carefully turn meat and continue cooking until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours more.
- One hour before brisket is finished cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add remaining 4 carrots and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from boiling water using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add remaining 4 ribs celery and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Repeat process first with turnips, followed by rutabagas; set vegetables aside.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool slightly. Carefully remove brisket from pan and transfer to a serving platter. Working in batches, transfer liquid and vegetables to the jar of a blender, carefully blend until sauce is very smooth; season with salt and pepper. Serve brisket with sauce and boiled vegetables.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.