Susan's Peach Stuffing
Martha Stewart Living editor Sarah Carey shares her recipe for peach stuffing.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- Yield Makes 12 cups
Serves 12 to 14
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread (about 1 pound), crust on, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 9 cups)
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 can (29 ounces) clingstone peach halves in heavy syrup, drained, syrup reserved, 1/2 the peaches cut into pieces if desired
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock (optional; use if cooking in baking dish)
- Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet, and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. (Alternatively, bake bread in a 300 degrees oven until dry but not browned, about 15 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in herbs, and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add bread, and toss to combine.
- Whisk peach syrup into orange juice concentrate, and add to bread mixture with peaches.
- To cook stuffing in a turkey: Loosely stuff into a turkey, and roast until center of stuffing registers 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Spoon the remaining stuffing into a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish, cover with parchment, then foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Uncover, and bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. To bake all of the stuffing outside a turkey: Stir in stock, spoon into a buttered 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and bake at 375 degrees as directed above.
If baking the stuffing inside a turkey, omit the optional 1/2 cup of stock.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.